Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rewards of a Challenging Project

Some projects are just more challenging than others! They require more time, more effort and a little bit of hair-pulling :)

I was contacted by a purse-maker to make little wooden tags with her business logo on them. No problem, right? Or so I thought. She also wanted me to find a special style of chain to hang them from...and she also wanted me to glue them onto the back of leather tags as well.

Okay, not too big of a problem. We decided on a chain that would work and she mailed the leather tags to me for assembly. When the leather tags arrived, they were 2" in diameter instead of 1.5"...That's a Problem! I already had all 500 wooden tags cut and engraved!

I tried to cut the leather down to 1.5" to fit the wooden tags, but it just wasn't working. I don't have any specialty tools to work with leather. The laser would cut it wonderfully, but since it already had the logo embossed on it, I couldn't guarantee I'd center it perfectly. Now what do we do?

In the end we decided to skip the leather tags and I engraved the logo that was on the leather onto the back side of the wooden tags...500 more times! The end result was wonderful :)

And the best part is, the buyer sent a message the other day that everyone loved the tags! She even wants to order 1,000 more in the future!!! So even though this project was a little stressful and I really wanted to just give up half way through, the rewards of sticking with it and doing a great job are paying off :)

Have you worked on any stressful projects lately?

20 comments:

  1. You found the perfect solution, Edi!
    Congrats on the huge order :)
    Projects per se aren't stressful for me, but the deadline is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of these tags. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how wonderful! So glad you stuck with it and she liked it SOoo much. What a great project for you! {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT job working that out!! I actually like the all wood better than the leather and wood combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! Nice thinking on your feet. Here's hoping they do come back for the next 1,000!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All's well that ends well. The tags are amazing! Congrats on your continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that worked out. I like the way the back of the tag turned out--very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!! I hope that 1000 order comes eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a neat logo! I'm so glad that everything worked out in the end. I hope that she does come back for future orders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...that does sound stressful! When you have to problem solve with a customer that's a scary thing- you never know if they're going to end up liking what you're doing and give you further headaches or what! Glad you all were able to come to a great solution together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They turned out really well! Great job Edi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job! And congrats on the big order. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look great! I'm glad it worked out for both of you. With special orders, I'm always afraid of the customer not being happy no matter what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look great! I'm glad it worked out for both of you. With special orders, I'm always afraid of the customer not being happy no matter what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They turned out great! I can see why everyone likes them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's awesome! they look fantastic! congratulations on your big order.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Persistance pays off! The tag looks fantastic! Now this is another item you can add to your portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! These are fabulous! A stressful project indeed! so glad it worked out in the end!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...